VAN is a company that helps brands and agencies create entertaining & successful branded video content. As we like to put it – we help brands make better sh*t for the internet. We began as the Viral Ad Network and have expanded our platform over the last year (with big plans afoot!).
We are after someone to come and help scale our product management capabilities as we expand our product range. This is an ideal role for someone junior – we want people who can match our ambition, and are happy to invest in making you better through training and mentoring.
What is product management?
Product management can be explained as the intersection between technology, business & user experience. It will be your job to help build products that are useful, feasible and valuable to the business (whilst ideally still retaining VAN’s personality).
You don’t need to have had any experience in product management; we can teach you that. However, it’s important you know what your letting yourself in for – reading some of Mind The Product is a good place to start!
First and foremost, this is a problem solving role. You will learn how our team and our products work, and be encouraged to identify and solve any problems you can see. We can then see what your strengths are and what hats you will wear.
Although this is a role within a technical team, it is not essential that you have any programming experience. It is important is that you can learn quickly and understand the problems you deal with, but you won’t have to do any coding (we have a team of developers for that).
You will be responsible for managing one of our products, maintaining a backlog & prioritising development work. You will work closely with me (I’m Ally, VAN’s Product Manager btw), our CTO Tim, and the rest of our development team. A large part of this role also involves managing our other stakeholders’ expectations. For this it’s important to have a relatively thick skin as you can’t please everyone & will often have to say no to people (it sucks – you get used to it). However, you also get to deliver great new features which make people’s life easier, which is nice.
We are a remote working team running agile development processes (like Scrum & Kanban), normally spread between Bristol, London, Devon & Buxton (in the Peak District). This is a challenge, but we are getting pretty good at it. We still make a point of meeting up regularly & still get valuable pub time to make the important decisions! We also have team days away (and yearly ski trips).
Working remotely also means that you will learn how to use (and maybe one day love) awesome tools like Trello, google apps & IRC. These are a great complement to the (slightly cliche) clutter of sharpies, post-its & A3 pads that will fill your desk.
You will definitely need
- A good degree or relevant experience. Everybody here has proven themselves – either in an academic or work environment.
- A genuine desire to get stuck into work and take responsibility.
- Previous work experience, this can be anything dealing with people or a task based role. It doesn’t have to be especially relevant, but we don’t have time to teach you the most basic professional and get-things-done skills.
- A will to win. Winning is best.
- Strong communication skills; you need to get your ideas across succinctly but with enough detail that others can see your vision and help build great useful products.
It would also be nice if you have:
- Digital experience. Digital native is an overused phrase, but we want someone familiar with the world of YouTube, WordPress & active on social networks.
- An interest in behavioural psychology. Have a nosey through this – it’s great!
If this sounds good, please apply through our jobscore account.