This post is linked to the full job add for this role.
Hi I’m Rowena, an Account Manager with Delib, part of Team Rubber. We develop software to help governments consult with citizens online. In practice, this means placing tools (our three online applications) in the hands of government departments and helping them to use them. In order to ensure our apps are online, understood and well used, we need someone to manage our expanding customer base, which is where you come in.
The job, in brief:
Account Management is all about ensuring customers are happy, retained and would refer us onto other organisations. If we get it right then it’s an all round win, we’re happy, our customers like working with us and together we’re helping citizens connect better with decision making. Delib is a small company (there are about 12 of us in the whole team) and account management very much forms the linchpin of the company, sitting between our customers, and the sales and software development teams.
A ‘typical day’ is varied and isn’t always ‘typical’, it might involve meeting with our developers in the morning (we have a morning ‘stand-up’ each day), responding to support requests and chatting with customers to ensure their needs are met and that they are happy. Alternatively, you might find yourself walking around Whitehall or flying up to Edinburgh to run a training session for a customer. To do this role, you need to be driven, inquisitive and open-minded, and happy to be flexible to ensure that customer needs are met.
The job will require you to not just learn product knowledge, but also, in time, become an expert in the market we work with – digital in government. It helps if you have a hook of interest in Delib – whether it’s an interest in government, in digital or just generally in doing a worthwhile job. We also have a business in Australia (and a small team based there) and we often work with public sector organisations in Canada and the US, which is exciting and can keep your customer-base pretty varied.
Why I like to work here:
Delib is a fairly unique opportunity to do something that actually matters and improves people’s lives on both a large and small scale. It’s pretty satisfying to see something you’ve helped out on being mentioned on the news or seeing a nice Tweet from a customer after you’ve taken the time to look over their query at the end of a working week:
Because we are a small company and team (there are two of us in the account management team and a civil service secondee) you have a large amount of autonomy in your role and are trusted to get on with your job. The company operates an almost flat structure, and you pick up responsibility very quickly. You’ll be expected to be directly responsible for something, but also given the opportunity to suggest how it we can do things differently.
In return for hard work (we all work hard here) you are rewarded with a supportive team, nice office location and company perks. Some highlights include:
- We have a lovely working environment – there are lots of herbal teas available, a fruit box and bacon sarnies on a Friday!
- Working on King Street in central Bristol means you have access to lots of lunch options or easily pop to the bank at lunch. If you’ve ever worked on an industrial estate like I have you’ll appreciate this!
- We use macs and you’ll have a second screen and a nice chair. Alongside a leafy working environment (this is the office)
- We have a generous holiday allowance (24 days plus bank holidays) and you’re allowed to work from home over Christmas, which means you don’t have to take the time of if you don’t want to.
- If you create a case and company circumstances allow, you can do some training. This might involve learning about Agile methodologies or attending a relevant event.
- Occasionally you’ll get to travel with the role – sometimes this will be to a less-than glamorous building in the middle of nowhere, but sometimes it’s to visit customers in pretty cool locations such as Edinburgh, Manchester, Dublin, and even Australia.
- We have an annual work outing called ‘burning rubber’ which is our summer gathering. We head out of the office for the day, drink and eat before burning rubber. Yes burn rubber
What we would like from you:
You’ve probably worked in account or project management previously for at least a couple of years and understand how the job works. We’re not looking for a fresh graduate (although we do hire those for other roles) or anyone else who needs the basics explained, so please don’t apply if that sounds like you. We need you to be good with words and have a desire to know things, we really like finding things out for our customers and for ourselves. This is not a hard-sales role, it is consultative account management – warmth and personality are things we like a lot.
The work (in bullet points) and more detailed requirements can be found on our full job add.